- 1991 Diplom in mathematics (Mgr.), University of P.J.Safarik, Kosice, Slovak Rep.
- 1994 PhD in mathematics (Dr.), Charles University Prague, Czech Rep., Dissertation: Numerical Solution of Compressible Flow
- 1999 Habilitation (Doc.), Institute of mathematics, Technical University of Brno
- 2002 Professorship (C3 Prof.), Institut für Numerische Simulation, Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg
- 2008-09 Offers:
- 2008 offer W2 Professur für Numerik partieller Differentialgleichungen, TU München (declined)
- 2009 offer W3 Professur für Numerische Analysis, Numerik partieller Differentialgleichungen, Universität Oldenburg (declined)
- 2009 offer W3 Professur für Angewandte Mathematik (Numerische Mathematik), Universität Mainz (accepted)
- since March 2010 full Professor for Numerical Mathematics, University of Mainz
- 2019 offer for W3 Professur für Numerik partieller Differentialgleichungen, TU Berlin (declined)
Awards and Fellowships
- Prize of Prof. Ivo Babuska (for dissertation), Charles University Prague, 1995
- DAAD Postdoctorade Fellowship at the University of Magdeburg 1995
- Volkswagen Stiftung Grant at the Technical University Brno, 2001
- Junior Prize of the Czech Learned Society, 2002
- Olga Taussky Pauli Fellow, Wolfgang Pauli Institute, Vienna, 2011
- Bronze Medal of Pavol Josef Safarik University Kosice, 2013
- Gutenberg Research Fellow, University of Mainz, 2020-2025
Visiting Positions and Collaborations
- Member of the Steering Committee Mainz Institute of Multiscale Modelling, since 2019
- Simons Visiting Professor, Academy of Sciences Warsaw, 2017
- Vice-Speaker of the DFG-Collaborative Research Center (SFB) Multiscale Simulation Methods for Soft Matter Systems, since 2014
- Member of the DFG-Collaborative Research Center (SFB) Waves to Weather, since 2015
- Faculty Member of the Max-Planck Graduate School, since 2012
- Member of the Research Center "Computational Sciences in Mainz", since 2010
- Member of the DFG-International Research Trainig Group "Mathematical Fluid Dynamics", since 2011
- Visiting Professor at the Necas Center for Mathematical Modelling, Prague, December 2010-January 2011
- Visting Professor at Center for Scientific Computing and Mathematical Modeling, University of Maryland, College Park, March 2011
- Visiting professorship at the Center for Scientific Computing and Mathematical Modeling, University of Maryland, College Park, March-May, 2006, supported by the University of Maryland and by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Sophia Kowalewskaja Guest Professorship, Universität Kaiserslautern, April - September 2002.
- Courant Institute, New York University, invited lecture at the conference Nonlinear Analysis, June 2000.
- Centre International de Recontres Mathematiques, Marseille, invited lecture at the First French-Czech conference on Mathematical Fluid Mechanics, March 2000.
- Edmund Landau Center for Research in Mathematical Analysis, Jerusalem, Israel, visiting scientist, funded by the GIF foundation, collaboration with Jienquan Li, March 2000.
- Mathematical Institute, University of Lisbon, collaboration with S. Matusu-Necasova, invited lecture at the conference Navier-Stokes equations and related problems, funded by the AMIF, June 1999.
- Oxford University Computing Laboratory, Oxford, UK, scientific collaboration with K.W. Morton funded by the DFG agency VW and partially by the AMIF, frequent visits 1996 - 2002.
- Institut für Analysis und Numerik, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, frequent long term stays, funded by the DFG agency VW, collaboration with G.Warnecke, 1996-2001.
- Institut für Analysis und Numerik, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, postdoctoral stay, collaboration with G.Warnecke, funded by the DAAD, 1995.
- Mathematisches Institut A, Universität Stuttgart, visiting scientist, collaboration with J.Felcman, G. Warnecke and W.L.Wendland, Feb.- Apr.1993.
Algoritmy (Conference for Scientific Computing), Slovakia, September 2002 Oberwolfach Workshop, Germany; April,2004, 2012, 2016, 2019, American Institute of Mathematics, Palo Alto; April 2005 Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, June-July, 2005, March 2007, March 2008, Capital Normal University Beijing, August-September, 2005 Tulane University,New Orleans, USA April, 2006 North Carolina University, USA April, 2006, 7th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Los Angeles, July 2006 14th International Conference on Finite Elements in Flow Problems, Minisymposium on Flow of Biological and Complex Fluids, Santa Fe, March 2007 15th International Scientific Conference on Mathematical Methods in Economics and Industry, Herlany, Slovakia, June 2007, Minisymposium on Biofluids and Coupled Problems in Biomechanics, ECCOMAS 2008 , Nonlinear PDE , Praha December 2009, 9th World Congress on Computational Mechanics , Sydney, July 2010, Waseda University , Tokyo, December 2010, November 2012 and November 2013, Spring School at the University of Kosice , Slovakia, May 2011, Workshop "Women in Appl. Math." , Forth, Heraklion, May 2011, ICIAM, Vancouver July 2011, AIMS Dynam. Systems Diff. Eqs. and Appl., Orlando, July 2012, Fluid-Structure Interaction in Soft Matters, November 2012, , NUMHYP Aachen 2013, Scientific Comp. and PDE, Hong-Kong, Dec. 2014, Kinet workshop on AP methods, May 2015, Hirschegg workshop on conservation laws, Sep. 2015, International Workshop on Numerical Simulation for Multimaterial and Multiphysics Flows, Beijing, Aug. 2015, Mathematical Analysis of Continuum Problems, Fukuoka, October, 2016, Numerical Methods for Hyperbolic Problems, Monte Verita, June, 2017,Modelling and Numerical Analysis of Nonlinear Phenomena , Meiji University, Tokyo, December 2017, Workshop on Computational Fluid Dynamics, at the Institute Henri Poincare, Paris, February 2018, Kinet workshop on Multiscale Computations for Kinetic and Related Problems, Raleigh, November 2018, Peking University, Beijing, October 2019, SUSTech University, Shenzhen, China, October 2019